Our Mission is to improve the health and wellbeing of Nova Scotians through the creation of supportive environments, healthy public policy and programs that respect the diversity and needs of our population as it relates to healthy eating and physical activity.
- To facilitate communication and information sharing among those working to address healthy eating and physical activity at the local, provincial and national levels.
- To improve the effectiveness of member efforts in promoting healthy eating and physical activity by facilitating networking and the identification of collaborative action.
- To work collaboratively with government and stakeholders to advance issues of importance and relevance to the promotion of healthy eating and physical activity including the need for sustained implementation and adequate funding of evidence-based comprehensive strategies.
- The population health approach, recognizing that many factors influence health, including: income, social status, education, social support networks, employment and working conditions, physical environments, personal health practices, biology and genetic endowment, cultural heritage, health services, and healthy child development;
- The unique strengths, experience, and expertise of all organizations and individuals that participate in the Alliance;
- Building upon existing programs and experiences, whenever possible;
- Decisions and actions based on the best available evidence; and,
- The full participation of member organizations and individuals, recognizing that each will contribute various resources to the Alliance, depending on their capacity to do so.